Spartanburg, S.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team fell in three sets to the Valkyries of Converse College on Friday night in Conference Carolinas action in Spartanburg, S.C.
Score: Converse 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-13)
Records: Mount Olive 3-12, 0-4; Converse 4-16, 1-5
Location: Spartanburg, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans opened the match taking a 5-3 lead over the Valkyries on two kills, two aces, and a Converse error.
- Converse came back to tie the set 10 all on a 7-5 rally before Mount Olive took a four-point lead on a 6-2 run that put UMO ahead 16-12.
- The Valkyries again came back to tie the set, this time at 19 all, following a 7-3 run over the Trojans.
- UMO could not regain momentum to close out the set as Converse took the first game 25-22.
- Converse carried the momentum from the first set into the second as they came out of the gate with a 10-3 run.
- UMO chipped away at the Converse lead pulling within four points as the Valkyries led 16-12 midway through the set.
- Following a Trojan timeout, Mount Olive scored ten points but not before Converse found the nine points needed to win set two 25-22.
- Set three began with the Valkyries taking another early lead this time 6-2.
- Mount Olive soon found themselves trailing ten points with Converse holding a 15-5 lead.
- The home team carried out the set on a 10-8 run to defeat the Trojans 25-13 in the third set and win the match 3-0.
- Ania Keene led the team with nine kills and collected 15 digs.
- Kamber Skeen had a double-double with 20 assists and 17 digs.
Mount Olive takes on the Limestone Saints on Saturday, Oct. 6, in Gaffney, S.C. First serve is set for 2 p.m.