Gaffney, S.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team fell in three sets against the Saints of Limestone College on Saturday afternoon in Conference Carolinas action in Gaffney, S.C.
Score: Limestone 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-16, 25-13, 25-16)
Records: Mount Olive (3-13, 0-5); Limestone (9-6, 6-2)
Location: Gaffney, S.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Limestone opened the match with an early 5-2 run over the Trojans who came back with a 4-1 rally to tie the score at six all.
- Following the tie, Limestone took off on an 11-4 run to lead 17-10 over Mount Olive.
- The Trojans led a 6-5 rally that put the score at 22-16 in the Saints favor, who ultimately held off the visiting team to win the first set 25-16.
- The second set began much like the first with Limestone taking an early 6-1 lead.
- Five straight points for the Trojans off of two Saints errors, an Ania Keene ace, and two kills, one each from Brittany Barnett and Andrea Rivera-Reyes, tied the score at six all.
- Limestone responded with an 8-1 rally that put them ahead by seven points with the score sitting at 14-7.
- The Trojans found themselves trailing 21-9 following their timeout and could not climb back from the 12 point deficit as the Saints took set two 25-13.
- The Saints again took an early 5-1 lead over the Trojans to begin the third set.
- Mount Olive climbed within a point, 6-5, of Limestone who then took off on a 5-2 run to lead 11-7.
- UMO scored four straight points on a Saint error, Ania Keene kill and two service aces from Cyerra Carter to tie the score at 11 all.
- The hosting Saints countered with a 10-3 run that put them ahead by seven points, 21-14, over the Trojans.
- Mount Olive scored twice more but were too far behind to catch Limestone who won the third set 25-16 and the match 3-0.
- Kamber Skeen and Ania Keene were held to just four kills each, while Brittany Barnett and Andrea Rivera-Reyes had three each.
- The Trojans were held to just 17 kills in the match while commiting 13 errors.
Mount Olive travels just down the road to Pembroke, N.C., to compete in a tri-match with Elizabeth City State and UNC Pembroke on October 9. UMO takes on the Vikings of ECSU at 5 p.m. and follows at 7 p.m. with a match against the home Braves.