Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team came from behind to defeat the Flying Fleet of Erskine College in five sets at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C., on Friday afternoon in Conference Carolinas action.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Erskine 2 (13-25, 25-23, 20-25, 25-22, 15-4)
Records: Mount Olive (6-17, 1-8); Erskine (6-17, 3-7)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Erskine got off to an early start taking a 7-2 lead to begin the first set.
- The Trojans pulled within three points, 10-7, on two kills and three Flying Fleet errors.
- The Fleet pulled ahead by eight points, 16-8, following a 6-1 run.
- Mount Olive scored five points throughout the remainder of the set but Erskine took the opening set 25-13.
- The second set began with the Flying Fleet taking a fast 5-0 lead.
- Following their own timeout, the Trojans went on a 9-3 run taking a one-point, 9-8, lead on four kills, a Kamber Skeen ace and four Fleet errors.
- Both teams proceeded to trade points knotting the score up six times as a Fleet service error put the score at 15 all.
- Four Erskine kills gave the Fleet a three-point lead, 19-16, before the Trojans countered with four straight points of their own taking a 20-19 lead forcing an Erskine timeout.
- Erskine came out of the timeout on a 4-2 run taking a 22-20 lead, but Mount Olive dug deep to score the last three points to take set two 25-23.
- Erskine turned the momentum in their favor as the Fleet opened the third set on a 6-0 rally.
- Three kills, an Ania Keene ace, and two Fleet errors helped the Trojans pull within three points, trailing 9-6.
- A 6-3 run by the Flying Fleet put Erskine up six points, 15-9, over the Trojans, who retaliated with back-to-back Skeen kills and a Jimnelly Del Valle service ace to pull within three points 15-12.
- The Flying Fleet went on a 9-4 run putting them up eight points, 24-16, and within a point of set point.
- The Trojans scored four points climbing back within four, 24-20, before the Fleet put down the last point to take set two 25-20.
- The fourth set began with Erskine taking a 7-3 lead over Mount Olive.
- UMO went on a 6-4 rally to pull within two points, 11-9, of the Fleet who called a timeout to recollect.
- Following the timeout, the Trojans went on a 10-2 run to take a 19-13 lead over the Fleet. Five Trojan kills and five Fleet errors contributed to the run.
- Erskine pulled back within a point, 20-19, following a 6-1 run.
- Mount Olive held off the Fleet climb back, who trailed by one point, 23-22, by scoring the final two points on a Fleet error and Ania Keene kill tying the match score at two sets each and forcing a fifth set.
- Despite Erskine scoring the first two points, Mount Olive carried the momentum from the fourth set into the fifth set taking an 8-4 lead into an Erskine timeout. Five Trojan kills, an Ania Keene ace and two Fleet errors combined for the UMO run.
- Following the timeout, the Trojans scored seven straight points to win the fifth set 15-4 which included back-to-back blocks for the final two points.
- Kamber Skeen tallied her second triple-double in a week with 12 kills, 25 assists, and 13 digs in the match.
- Ania Keene led all players with 19 kills on the day. She also added 14 digs for a double-double.
- Jimnelly Del Valle tallied 25 digs while Andrea Rivera-Reyes added 13 of her own, contributing to the Trojans 76 total digs.
- Nicholle Yeo recorded a career-high 18 assists in the Trojans come from behind win.
Mount Olive is back in action on Tuesday, October 23, as they host Barton College and Fayetteville State in a doubleheader at Kornegay Arena. The Trojans and Bulldogs meet for a 4 p.m. first serve and the Broncos follow up with an estimated 6 p.m. first serve. Fans can watch the match here. Also make sure to keep up with all things Trojan Athletics by following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.