Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team defeated the Hawks of Chowan University in four sets on Tuesday evening in non-conference action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Chowan 1 (25-20, 25-27, 25-15, 25-21)
Records: Mount Olive (8-20); Chowan (10-16)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the score tied at 4-4, Chowan went ahead 9-6 following a 5-2 run to take an early lead to begin the first set.
- The Trojans countered with a 5-1 rally to take a one-point, 11-10 lead on four kills, two each from Ania Keene and Brittany Barnett, and a Hawk error.
- Mount Olive took a five-point lead following a 6-2 run putting the Trojans ahead 17-12 on four Hawk errors, a Kaitlin Grote kill and a Nicholle Yeo service ace.
- Following a Chowan timeout, the Hawks battled back to trail by two points, 21-19, on a 7-4 run that forced UMO to call a timeout of their own.
- UMO came out of the timeout scoring five of the last six points in the set to take the opening game 25-20 heading into set two.
- Mount Olive opened the second set on a 4-1 run but called a timeout to strategize following three consecutive Chowan points that tied the set at four all.
- Coming out of the timeout, UMO went on a 6-2 run, that included two kills each from Keene and Kamber Skeen and two Hawk errors, taking a 10-6 lead over CU.
- Chowan fought back within two points of Mount Olive, 15-13, but a 5-1 run by the Trojans put them back ahead by six points, 20-14, late in the set.
- CU fought their way back to take a 24-22 lead over UMO after a 10-2 rally.
- The Trojans scored three of the next four points to tie the set at 25 all which forced Chowan to call a timeout.
- The Hawks came out of the timeout scoring the last two points they needed to take the second set 27-25.
- UMO came out of the intermission by taking an early 7-2 lead to start the third set. Five kills and two Hawk errors contributed to the run.
- Mount Olive went ahead by seven points following an 8-6 run that put the score at 15-8.
- The Trojans held on to their seven-point lead throughout the remainder of the set as they went on to win set three by 10 points, 25-15, taking a 2-1 lead in the match.
- The fourth set opened with Mount Olive going on a 10-3 run to go ahead of Chowan early.
- A 6-1 run by the Trojans put UMO up by 12 points as the score sat at 16-4.
- Chowan closed the gap on a 6-2 run of their own as Mount Olive led 18-10.
- Mount Olive narrowly held on to their lead late in the set as Chowan climbed within three points, 24-21, of the Trojans following an 11-6 rally by the Hawks.
- A kill by Ania Keene following the UMO timeout gave the Trojans the final point needed to win the fourth set 25-21, staving off the fifth set as the Mount Olive won the match 3-1.
- Kamber Skeen picked up her fifth triple-double of the season with 12 kills, 23 assists, and 21 digs.
- Aina Keene and Andrea Rivera-Reyes joined Skeen in the double-digit kill column with 16 and 12 kills respectively.
Mount Olive is back in action this Friday and Saturday when they close out the regular season against Lees-McRae and Belmont Abbey in Conference Carolinas action. First serve between the Trojans and Bobcats is set for 7 p.m. at Kornegay Arena on Friday and 3 p.m. on Saturday between UMO and BAC. Make sure to keep up with all things Trojan Athletics by following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.