Mount Olive, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team defeated the Bobcats of Lees-McRae College on Saturday afternoon in five sets at Kornegay Arena in Conference Carolinas action in Mount Olive, N.C. Prior to the match seniors, Brittany Barnett and Kaitlin Grote were honored as part of senior day inside Kornegay Arena.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Lees-McRae 2 (25-21, 25-20, 26-24, 25-19 15-9)
Records: Mount Olive (9-21 / 2-12); Lees-McRae (7-22 / 3-11)
Location: Kornegay Arena | Mount Olive, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UMO began the game taking the first five points of the opening set.
- LMC climbed within three points of the Trojans, 9-6, before Mount Olive reclaimed a six-point, 12-6 lead, on three straight kills.
- A 4-2 run by the Trojans, that included four kills, put UMO up 16-8 midway through the set.
- The Bobcats went on a 10-3 rally to pull within a point, 19-18, of the Trojans.
- Mount Olive held off the rallying Lees-McRae team by scoring six of the last nine points to win the opening set 25-21.
- UMO took the first point of the second set before LMC scored on three straight kills to take a 3-1 lead.
- A 9-1 rally by the Trojans, that included three kills, five LMC errors and a Kaitlin Grote ace, gave UMO a six-point lead 10-4.
- Lees-McRae pulled within three points, 15-12, before Mount Olive went on a 7-1 run to take a 22-13 lead.
- The Bobcats fought back scoring seven more points, but the Trojans managed to hold off the rallying LMC team to win the second set 25-20.
- The momentum shifted in the third set as the Bobcats came out of the gate taking an early 6-2 lead over the Trojans who called a timeout to recollect.
- A kill by Brittany Barnett from Kamber Skeen put UMO within four points of LMC, 12-8.
- Lees-McRae took a 21-14 lead following their 9-6 run, but Mount Olive rallied back and eventually tied the set at 24 all following a 10-3 rally that included seven kills, a Kamber Skeen ace, and two Bobcat errors.
- UMO could not find the two points needed to win as LMC took the third set 26-24.
- Lees-McRae opened the fourth set taking an early 7-3 lead.
- UMO pulled within two points, 11-9, following a 6-4 run that included five kills and an error.
- The Bobcats reclaimed a seven-point lead following an 8-3 rally that put the score at 19-12.
- Mount Olive was making their way back as they scored six more points in the set, but Lees-McRae held off the rallying Trojans to win the fourth set 25-19 and tie the match score up at two sets each.
- The two teams began the fifth set neck and neck as the score sat tied at four-all eight serves into the last set.
- UMO went on a 4-1 run putting the score at 8-5 as the teams switched sides of the court.
- Four kills, three Bobcat errors and a Kamber Skeen ace gave Mount Olive all the points they needed to take the fifth set 15-9 and win their last match of the season 3-2 on senior day.
Mount Olive's season ended on a high note as the Trojans defeated the Bobcats on Senior Day. UMO finished with a 9-21 overall record and a 2-12 conference mark. Make sure to keep up with all things Trojan Athletics by following us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.