Chapel Hill, N.C. – In its lone exhibition contest of the season, the University of Mount Olive men's basketball team fell to NCAA Division I UNC Chapel Hill Friday night 107-64.
Score: UNC 107, Mount Olive 64
Location: Dean E. Smith Center, Chapel Hill, N.C.
How It Happened
- The Trojans took the early momentum scoring the first points of the contest on a three-pointer by Cameron Robinson.
- UNC then countered with a four-point run and jumped out to a 4-3 lead.
- The Tar Heels continued to hold the lead with the Trojans holding UNC to no more than a five-point lead at the next media timeout with under 11:30 to play in the first half.
- Following the media timeout, UNC went on 9-0 run before Alan Treakle made a layup at the 7:29 mark bringing the deficit to 27-15.
- Michael Brown picked up an offensive rebound and a putback to bring the score down to 30-17 with 7:17 remaining, but the Tar Heels were poised for another run.
- Cameron Johnson's jumper got UNC rolling on a 7-0 spread that pushed the lead out to 18; 35-17 with 5:46 remaining.
- Kenyon Burt stopped the run with a tip-in and Don Pigford followed it up with a dunk off his own steal to bring the score to 35-21.
- After a Brown layup with 3:40 remaining, the Tar Heels went on to score 12 unanswered points extending their lead to 52-23.
- Darius Spragley stopped the UNC run with 25 seconds left in the half with a tip-in, but the Tar Heels had the final shot of the half and took a 54-25 lead into the break.
- The second half started off with both teams exchanging shots through the opening four minutes with UNC holding onto a 26 point lead; 65-39.
- Leaky Black started another run for the Tar Heels as UNC went on to score 13 unanswered points over the next three minutes.
- After the under 12 media timeout, Jonathan Mebane was able to stop the run after he collected an offensive board and floated up a lay-up to pull the Trojans to within 78-41 with 11:19 on the clock.
- Mount Olive continued to try and chip away at the UNC lead with three-pointers by Mebane at 10:08 and Brown at 7:18, but the Tar Heels countered with five points and led 98-51.
- UMO hit a series of free-throw opportunities at the five-minute mark, however, UNC countered with a 6-2 run as the Tar Heels led 104-56.
- Mount Olive ended the game on an 8-to-3 run as UNC defeated the Trojans 107-64.
- Cameron Robinson led the Trojans with 12 points and also had two steals on the defensive side.
- Michael Brown followed with 11 points and four rebounds.
- Jonathan Mebane rounded out the Trojans in double figures with 11 points and collected three boards.
- The contest between the Trojans and Tar Heels was the first game played inside the Dean E. Smith Center after the court was renamed the Roy Williams Court.
- In partnership with UNC, Mount Olive helped raise $4,995.69 for the UNC Chapel Hill Disaster Relief Fund at tonight's game.
- "It was a great opportunity for our guys. Carolina is a first-class operation and it was an honor to play on Roy Williams Court. We will learn a lot from this game," said Head Coach Joey Higginbotham.
Mount Olive opens the regular season with a pair of contests in the 45-second Classic in Wilson, North Carolina. The Trojans open the classic on Friday, November 9 with a 5:00 p.m. showdown with Augusta University before facing Georgia Southwestern on Saturday.